Skip to main content

Article Round Up


Avoiding Racial Equity Detours - Educational Leadership 


In a recent workshop NEB was given this great article about Racial Equity Detours and how to avoid them. Some of these may feel familiar to you in your school or organization. 


Teaching Channel Webinars 


Browse through this resource for teaching webinars! You can register anytime and the focus is on virtual learning. 


New Providence School Board member, youngest ever, sworn in


Providence has a new school board member and he is the youngest they’ve ever had! We look forward to seeing what new and much needed thinking comes from 20-year-old Ty'Relle Stephens in the coming year.

Continue the discussion in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Article Round Up: Juneteenth Edition

  Teachers are reckoning with a multitude of difficult, complex subjects that our world is facing, and how to engage with students about them. Here are just a few resources, opinions, and stories about Juneteenth, in the light of its recognition as a national holiday, and ideas for the larger conversations that it invokes. So You Want to Learn About Juneteenth?  An introduction to the most recent federally-recognized national holiday: Juneteenth commemorates June 19th, 1865, when enslaved African-Americans in Texas learned of their emancipation. The history of the holiday, though, is still unfolding as legislation and cultural shifts unfold after the killing of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement.  Teachers Say Laws Banning Critical Race Theory are Putting a Chill on Their Lessons As Juneteenth is commemorated, Asian-American hate crimes are on the rise, the 100-year anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre passes, and the Black Lives Matter Movement is still b...

Teacher Spotlight: Jessica Tuttle of North Smithfield High School

  Who I am…      My name is Jessica Tuttle and I am a high school English teacher at North Smithfield High School in North Smithfield, RI. Although I have been teaching in NS for 6 years, I have been an English and Writing Teacher for 21 years. For 15 years, I was a college professor and a member of the English Departments at the University of Rhode Island and Salve Regina University. Although I loved teaching college students, I decided to become certified in Secondary Ed English because I knew my experience at the college level would benefit high school students for the demands of college writing. I also longed to be a part of students’ daily lives, which was a facet that was missing with college students since they were only with me for a short amount of time and only for a couple days during the week. What drives me as an English teacher is allowing students the opportunity to explore themselves through literature, and by reading other writers, giving t...

Teacher Spotlight: Jessica Briggs of Charette!

          I am a first year teacher at Charette High School in downtown Providence, RI. I teach 9th and 10th grade English. What has always driven me as an educator is the power of stories -- not just the ones we read, but also the ones we have inside of us, waiting to be shared and told. The project I'd like to feature is called "Poetry & the People," which introduces our ninth graders to poetry - they learn to analyze poems for tone, word choice, imagery, style, and theme, and then apply that knowledge to their own work. We've just started the process of writing our own poems and while many are hesitant, the great thing about this project is that by the end, students really begin seeing themselves as writers -- not just students who write. The last part of the project has them "perform" or present a poem of their own to the class. One of my favorite quotes to share with students when we start this project is from Anne Carson: “If prose is a h...